Friday, March 8, 2013

March 8, 2013

Day 47

Ted reached another milestone this week!  In rehab they transitioned him from the walker to a cane!  I was shocked and excited! Just look how he's walking now:




In occupational therapy, they started some beginning skills in driving rehabilitation. For example, they flashed a light and checked his reaction time in hitting the brake on a simulator.  

Today they had him trying push ups and planks! He's not quite there yet, but he loves the challenge. He does aqua therapy two days a week and finds that very enjoyable. 

There's still lots of tingling from the calf down and in his hands. At one point, the tingling was everywhere, so this is still improving. He is so grateful that GBS has a good prognosis and has a very positive outlook.

2 comments:

  1. Ted, you look like you're just carrying that cane around! That is just wonderful. I'd never heard of GBS, but your progress seems just amazing. It must be encouraging to see such consistent improvement.

    Hugs
    Jami & Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted

      Game on. I went to Lake Charles the last couple of weekends and you were a no show. That's a automatic forfeit. So I was delighted to get my mail today and your two bucks. That the first time ever that I have beat Ted Heroman at anything since Westdale Jr High.

      I do however feel a little guilty, not because of taking advantage of your situation, but for two other reasons. You said that you also went to Lake Charles but couldn't find me. Maybe it was because the directions weren't precise enough. It was actually the second pine tree, not the first. Secondly you said that you ran the race anyway. I wouldn't have expected less. I have to admit I was too lazy and didn't even try. I've consulted the race officials and they have declared it a tie. You can expect half of the winnings to be returned.

      I have another appology to make. That's to all the people who have read this blog and don't know me. Obviously I am sarcastic but I am also a M.D. So yes, Ted does have his personal Gynecologist overseeing his medical management and progress. When I first heard that Ted had GBS I was scared for Ted. Terrified might be a better word. I didn't have to google GBS to learn about it. In medical school I had a twelve year old patient with GBS. That was the first time I had heard about the disease. He was never given the opportunity to develop the friendships that Ted, myself and all the track guys at LSU have. I've seen other people with GBS in subssequent years. Most have done well but none as well as Ted. His recovery has been nothing but miraculous. As frightened as I was for Ted when I learned of his diagnosis, I now rejoice with even greater thankfulness.

      When I first challenged Ted, that he couldn't beat GBS, I had anticipated a long and slow recovery. Initially I had planned on being kind and supportive. However when Ted unexpectedly started improving so rapidly I couldn't help but turn up the heat. I did it only with true admirition for Ted. I hope that I haven't offened anyone.



      Anyway the walking video is fabulous, modeling your new fashion bicycling shirt. As for the challenges, lets call it even.

      Rub

      Delete