Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4, 2013

Early Sunday afternoon, Curtis asked Ted who he was pulling for in the SuperBowl. Ted said he really didn't care. Believe it or not, he said he just hoped that the power would go out and it would end in a tie!  Well...it didn't end in a tie, but....!  

After a weekend "off" from therapy, Ted was back in sessions today. The physical therapists are working on getting him to stand, but his hamstrings continue to "scream" at him (Ted's description) when he tries to straighten his legs. I think for the rest of the morning session they worked on his legs. While sitting in the wheelchair, he can lift his foot off of the rest.

The afternoon was occupational therapy. They increased his weights up to 20 lbs (15 lbs last week), practiced scooting across a raised mat table from one end to the other, and used an arm bike to continue building his strength. I know that this upper body work is paying off and helping him become increasingly independent in his transfers and in rolling over in the bed.

Cate










2 comments:

  1. We were so happy to see Ted in such good shape this afternoon! Not his old self yet, but SO much better than expected. Keep up the good work, both Ted AND Cate! You're a good team and can be very proud of every milestone reached.

    Emily and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I can hear Bill using the same word "scream" to describe an unhappy body part :-)

    Please give Ted a hug for us. PT & OT can do amazing things, and I know that Ted is bonding with these caregivers. I bet they really enjoy working with him.

    Jami & Bill

    ReplyDelete