Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9, 2013


@Jami and Bill...you asked in yesterday's post about Ted's perspective on the therapy and how he would compare the intensity of this "training" experience with more traditional athletics. 

In researching Guillain-Barre Syndrome, one thing we learned was that overexertion can sometimes lead to a relapse. When I read that to Ted, he listened and took it very seriously. He knows what he WANTS to do, but this thought/fear lingers with him. 

I asked Ted your question, and here's his response: 
"Early on because of the bad hamstring, there were some periods of intense pain. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with GBS.  The actual workload of what I am doing is minimal compared to what it takes to be in a decathlon.  I don't want to work to the point of exhaustion. I tire quickly, so it's a little bit work with a lot of rest...then alot of rest with fear of overworking.  I don't do anything they don't approve of for fear of relapse. When doing weights, I do sets of 15, but not to the point of exhaustion.  I'm not so tired that I couldn't do another 10, but I'm being patient in letting it be that way. I'm doing everything I'm asked to do, but no more for fear of relapse. At the moment it is work, but it is not fatiguing work. I'm not breaking myself down and then collapsing in fatigue. "

======
@Bob...aka "Rubber"...in response to your challenge, Ted said that for someone who owned a quarter of a town, you could surely offer at least 2 bits for incentive rather than a dime!

1 comment:

  1. Ted and Cate- I am sure Rubber is good for it and I'll anteup two bits as well. Go get 'em Ted!-- Bob and Paula.

    ReplyDelete