Ted's team met today and here are a few of the highlights of their report:
- Ted has gone from needing "maximum assistance with 2 people" to "minimal assistance" with supervision when transferring from the wheelchair.
- The upper body continues to strengthen and there are some gains in the lower body.
- When attempting to stand with the parallel bars, Ted did 25% of the effort while the therapist did 75%.
- The goal is to take a first step.
The team is sticking with its original projection of time as in-patient rehab. So...we're looking at 2-3 more weeks here at the Neuromedical Center.
Ted
ReplyDeleteThanks to Cate for the blog. I've been following your progress from the sideline and it appears that you've got this thing turned around and headed in the right direction. We all know how much you like a challenge and also know that you don't like to lose. So, knowing that your going to take my money, I'm going to bet you a whole dime that you can't beat this GBS. It might take a while but its easy money.
I particularly enjoyed the picture. Good looking shades but you forgot your helmet and gloves. Don't know about the two wheels side by side but the seat looks more comfortable than the 3" wide one when the wheels are mounted front and back. Nevertheless, I figure it won't be long before you've got that thing cranked up over 20 MPH without drafting the peleton.
Hoping to send you the dime soon.
Rubber
Ted - Buzzy and I are encouraged by your rapid progress, and look forward to hearing that you're coming home to Blecker Drive.
ReplyDeleteLove, Susie
We enjoyed seeing Uncle Ted last weekend. Thanks for keeping us updated. We are very happy to hear this good news. We'll be back to visit soon!
ReplyDeleteAmy
Ted & Cate,
ReplyDeleteThanks to Cate (again!) for keeping us so well informed. I also appreciate the perspective of Ted's progress from your previous post...the human body (and the spirit) is SO amazing.
Ted, I look forward to hearing about how you would compare the intensity of this "training" experience with more traditional athletics, of which you are so familiar:-) You bring an awesome skill set to this adventure.
We're thinking of you and send our love,
Jami & Bill
Bill just walked in and I was able to show him the latest picture of Ted. He comments that Ted looks great and notes that Ted's forehead is as high as Bill's:-)
ReplyDeleteTed and Cate,
ReplyDeleteFollowing the progress, and it seems like things are progressing well; keep it up. Keeping you in our prayers,
Steve and Gayle