Saturday, January 26, 2013

January 26, 2013

Ted told me to tell you all that we like it so much here we decided to stay a little longer and get upgraded to a better room!  :)  When we were admitted, there were no beds on the neurology floor and so we were placed on the cardiac wing. We've now moved to a little more spacious room in the newer part of the hospital. I can now sit on the sofa without my knees touching Ted's bed!

This room has a newer hospital bed that can turn patients and even convert into a chair. However, Ted has a terrible time of finding a comfortable position, so we were up most of the night making adjustments. 

The neurologist ordered two more IVIG treatments.  During the treatment last night, I could see Ted using his arms a little more and and reaching for the rail of the bed. The day before he couldn't lift his elbows and put them on the arm of the chair. I asked the neurologist that if this is an ascending paralysis starting at the feet, what is the sequence for recovery. He said everyone is different, but he usually sees it starting at the top of the body and working its way down. So I am very encouraged seeing this greater range of motion in his arms. 

Now...do you want to hear something really annoying not related to Ted's health?  Last night I had my iPhone 5 charging in the hospital room in an outlet on the wall opposite the foot of Ted's bed. Some low-life stole my phone!  We figure that it had to be between 12:30 am and 4am. I don't think Ted ever really fell asleep and since it was sitting on the floor, they could have stooped down and slipped it in their pocket and he would not have seen it. I have taken the steps on Find My Phone to have all of the data erased, an alarm sound if they try to connect to the internet, etc. They must have done something to disable the FindMyPhone because it is not showing up.   Of all the things you have to worry about, this shouldn't be one of them!  So...if anyone tries to call me on my cell, you'll just get a voicemail. However, I can get text messages from my other devices and calls on Ted's phone.  Grrrr....

OK...I got that off my mind...now back to the important stuff!

Cate


8 comments:

  1. Low-life indeed, Cate! This has to be infuriating, but the most important thing is that you are seeing real improvement and the treatments are starting to work. It is so good to get this news about Ted. Hope you both can get more rest and somehow, your phone shows up!
    Thank you for continuing to post updates.
    Love to you both,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theodore, my good friend of 30+ years. Please know that Glenda, Brad, Kelly and I are taking every step, every day, with you on your journey to recovery.
    Cate, thank you for the blog and updates. Sorry about your phone, really irritating and quite inconvenient.

    Love to you both,
    Pat Rogers
    Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate your blog a couple of days ago about Ted and the Dice and swallowing pills dry made me smile. Ted I remember qite well when I was a seventh grader at Westdale seeing you and Jack Dampf practicing track. The track was a make shift one around the football field and the long jump, high jump, and pole vaulting pit were behind the bleachers. I also remember on that particular day Jack, who I think was a sprinter?, throwing up all over the place after a hard workout. And then later as a 9th grader Boots invited us to come workout with the high school. Ya'll were comming out of being State Champs the year before. I remember being in awe of you as I watch you make an approach on that small cinder apron in you sweats and strattling 6' 6" and landing in maybe 3 feet of loosely chunks of netted foam rubber. Well I've always been in awe of you and still are. Please get well soon. Eddie Crews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie- great story. Hope you are doing well- Bob Smith.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ted & Cate,

    Just checking in and sending best wishes. Holy crap, I would be livid if someone lifted my iPhone. Cate, good for you for sharing that with us...it is not a trivial matter, especially at a time like this! I'm inspired to learn about Find My Phone...haven't bothered to do that yet. Ted, I so wish you some ease and comfort. May that magic bed ultimately have a position that allows you some rest.

    Hugs to you both and a pox on the iPhone thief,

    Jami & Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading Eddie Crew's story reminded me of the 1972 SEC Outdoor Meet. Ted was never the tallest high jumper in a meet or the favorite. But on that day in May he cleared 6' 11" to upset several of the countries best high jumpers. It was the embodiment of the old " It's not he size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog". We all know that Ted will always keep fighting. Best always- Bob and Paula Smith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted! Glad to hear you are "on the mend"...Cate tells us you are a great patient, and I KNOW she has been a great nurse/wife this past week. Buzzy and I look forward to hearing how quickly you can get ouf of there, and on to the next step toward rapid recovery! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Ted I hope you are "dancing" with the nurses very soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sending up lots of prayers for you and Cate.

    mj
    BRHS 70

    ReplyDelete