Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28, 2013

A Day of Milestones!

While nights continue to be a challenge getting in a comfortable position, we are thrilled that Ted has accomplished a few milestones.

While holding up his leg under the knee for support, Ted was able to move both of his feet  forward and back. He thought the movement was coming from his knee, but I was stabilizing his knee. When the doctor came in a few minutes later, he was amazed by this change. 

The doctors and neurologists approved Ted's transfer to the NeuroMedical Center today. Both neurologists that Ted has seen this week made the comment that he had a "pretty bad case" of GBS. 

More than likely there will be some permanent damage, but we don't know how much or to what extent. In 2-3 months they will do a nerve conduction test that will determine that. GBS attacks the myelin sheath that wraps and protects the nerve. Permanent damage occurs when the GBS attacks the nerve fiber (axon) itself. When the nerve dies, the muscle that the nerve is attached to dies also. So part of the rebuilding of the myelin sheath also includes rebuilding the muscle.  (Oh....I wish now that I had paid more attention in biology!)

The rest of the day was hurry up and wait. Although we were discharged before noon, it was 5 o'clock before we made it to the rehab hospital. This is a lovely facility with 27 beds. Ted will be in rehab for 3 hours a day and lucky for me it is next to a nice shopping area where I can walk and take a break.

Before the ambulance arrived, Ted started singing the Beatles song, "Getting So Much Better All the Time!"





7 comments:

  1. If he is singing, I am sure it won't be long he will be dancing in the hall. Keep the good news coming.I am sure Ted will be amazing the staff at the NeuroMedical Center in a few days.He will be high jumping the railing around that place before you know it.
    John Hagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me he is in the pack and starting to pull through. Ted amaze us all and get to the front as i know you will. All the best and thinking about you all the time. Goldie and Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Cate and Ted. I am so sorry it has taken me a few days to write a comment on your great blog! Jo Collier sent me an email telling me about what was going on with Ted and asked if I would put the word out to the BRHS class list. I promptly did that but then never sent a message myself! So glad that the news is looking up and that you are in the recovery mode now. Let me know if you would be interested in visitors at any point and I can share that info, too! Much love to you all, Becky Parsons Gottsegen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time you started pulling out to the front, Ted! You are one tough cookie and I know you'll finish strong. Many of these posts are from friends who know you as a great athelete and competitor. For the record your coaching skills can't be beat! Afterall, you took this 50-something year old woman (10 years ago), taught her how to run, then how to run fast and then how to win. Every time I run now, slow as it is, I'm still listening to your instructions and words of encouragement. I'll always be indebted to you for your time, patience and many words of wisdom.
    Cate, thank you for these fabulous updates on Ted's condition. You know I'm retired now and available to help out in any way I can. I'll be in touch soon.
    Marion Landry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent news! Keep up the great work.- Bob and Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news! Won't stop praying! love to you all!

    ReplyDelete